Friday 27 February 2015

Sugar Me Bare




Sugaring, sugar waxing or Persian waxing is a method of hair removal that has been around since 1900 BC. Whilst it is a method of hair removal here that is as of yet not as popular, it is the most popular in Turkey, Eygpt, Iran & the Middle East.
When my friend Deborah invited me to have some sugaring done, my very first question was - "Is it painful?". I'll be completely honest & say that for me personally - strip waxing is a complete & utter no-no - in any area of the body as I find it incredibly painful & I always need a period of downtime with the redness. I'm a Lycon wax convert and when making any waxing appointments, I always ensure that Lycon is the wax within the salon. Let's be very honest at the outset - salons that tell you removing hair from the follicle with Lycon or any other wax is Painfree - are exaggerating the truth unless they plan on putting you under a general anaesthetic, however there most certainly is a huge difference with regards to pain, discomfort & downtime between the different treatments.
Deborah assured me that the treatment was a comfortable treatment so I decided to book in with her. She met me in the Salon Shop in the Kinsale Road and explained the process in a professional & knowledgeable way. The Alexandria Professional Sugaring is actually a full system - like a treatment really where the area that is being waxed is fully prepared prior to treatment & then treated after the hair has been removed. By that I mean that the skin is exfoliated initially using salts and at the end, a mud mask applied. 
I opted to have a Hollywood bikini & my underarms done with her on the day. I would have loved to have had the legs done but I have always shaved my legs for 2 reasons -
1) I'd be completely terrified that it's such a large area that it would be too painful 
2) I can't stand or tolerate hair except on my head so I haven't the patience or mental strength to watch it grow or feel it grow


It was my first time having my underarms done and I had been warned by friends that is wasn't a pleasant area - it was highly tolerable! The Hollywood was fast, efficient & also very comfortable. It was less uncomfortable that Lycon for me which is a big statement to make.

The downtime was minimal and there were no ingrown hairs. I also got a longer period from this method of hair removal.

I would definitely recommend Sugaring as a method of hair removal & I hope to have the patience the have the legs done soon! 

Deborah Long owns Jades Beauty Bar and you can contact her here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jade-Beauty-Bar/716293078425620

Deborah is also the educator for Alexandria Professional in Cork & she works with Ciara in the Salon Shop where she carries out training & does treatments there.

No comments:

Post a Comment